If you’re looking for the best free VPNs for Android, you’ve come to the right place. When choosing a virtual private network you will find many providers, each with different features and benefits.
I tested dozens and created a list of the best free VPNs for Android. These tools are 100% safe and reliable and will make your online experience more protected and anonymous.
A VPN is a virtual private network and its acronym in English comes from the phrase Virtual Private Network. On other occasions, we have talked about what VPNs are, but basically, it is a tool that will allow you to surf anonymously and safely on the Internet, changing the location of your IP and thus accessing geo-blocked content.
Best free VPN for Android
Connecting to a VPN involves accessing a company’s server to browse the Internet through it. By doing so, the company has full access to your data and can store it, especially if you work with a free VPN.
That is why it is very important to inform yourself about the product to minimize possible risks. In general, reputable companies that offer paid VPNs are usually trustworthy. Many times they have a free trial with certain limitations regarding download speed, advertising or data usage.
It’s almost impossible to know which VPNs are truly secure unless you read the fine print and do the proper testing. To save you a lot of time, I have evaluated dozens of free VPNs for Android.
Most offer you a trial period or a cheap subscription that you should evaluate before using the best mobile VPN regularly. Let’s see the preferred options based on our own experience.
Windscribe is a very popular free VPN service on Android for users who need a fast, stable and secure connection. It is a good option if you want to download Torrents or use it with streaming platforms.
It makes sure that your location is not exposed for any reason, without collecting information on any of its 11 servers. One of its biggest advantages is that the free package supports 10 GB of monthly data with unlimited connections.
It comes with its own ad blocker and firewall. To register for free you will have to use your email, And to take advantage of the advanced features, pay for the subscription.
There are VPN services that need to maintain a balance between a good amount of browsing data and locations. Proton VPN may be the option you need if you are interested in having unlimited data for free.
Despite having only 3 secure servers (distributed in the United States, Japan and the Netherlands), you will be able to browse without interruptions. Its 256-bit encryption offers the same level of security as a paid alternative and does not display annoying or dangerous ads.
The negative point is that its free version does not support any popular streaming service. It also does not allow P2P downloads and only supports connection on one device at a time. But if you want to take advantage of more features, you have the paid option.
Unblock your favourite sites anywhere in the world with TunnelBear VPN, a sufficiently stable free service. It is not the best for streaming services, unlike ExpressVPN or CyberGhost. However, it supports cross-platform support for users who want to browse anonymously.
It is a very limited free mobile VPN: you can only browse with 500 MB per month and it only has 49 server locations worldwide. This is a fairly small figure compared to other options.
Even so, it is secured with 256-bit AES encryption, one of the most secure currently. At the same time, it is very simple to use, it does not collect information on browsing activity or IP address and you can activate features that add an extra layer of security to data encryption.
Some browsers include their own free VPN solutions for Android. It is an alternative that allows its users to connect privately without having to delegate the connection to third-party applications and extensions. The best thing is that there is generally no data limit on this type of VPN.
One of the best options of this style is Opera, a browser that works with its own free VPN. This service has no limitations and is constantly updated, without prior registration. Activating it from the configuration is very simple and has support for both mobile phones and computers.
There are other options such as Firefox VPN. However, although they are quite functional, they are not free. Still, they’re worth checking out.
With Speedify we have another free VPN for Android with a fairly fast connection capacity. You will have to register to use its features, which are somewhat limited in the free version. You only have 2 GB of monthly data to browse safely on a single device at a time.
It offers a specific mode that allows connections with streaming services such as Netflix or Disney Plus, robust security encryption for your data and P2P connections. It doesn’t save data, so you don’t have to worry about your privacy.
With standard 256-bit AES protection, Hide.me specializes in maintaining your privacy while you browse the internet. Its servers have been reviewed by the computer security company DefenseCode Ltd. This, together with its zero-logs policy, guarantees the protection of your data.
It has support for all systems and offers a fairly fast download speed. However, your free connection is limited to 2 GB per month for your private connections. And you can only use 5 locations if you sign up from a single device. Even so, it is still an interesting alternative.
Despite being one of the most recent options, it is still quite stable and secure. With free Atlas VPN for mobile and computer, you can browse privately thanks to strong military-grade encryption.
It prevents IP or DNS leaks and comes with a safe shutdown system in its free version. It blocks ads and malware and its interface couldn’t be simpler (although it is somewhat limited in its mobile version). It automatically connects you to the most optimal server at that moment.
One aspect that stands out over other VPNs is the possibility of working on popular streaming platforms, especially Netflix. In addition to its free version, you will find 3 subscription options: $10.99 for the monthly plan, $3.29 per month for the annual plan and $2.05 per month for the three-year plan.
8. Hotspot Shield
Although it limits speed by having a single location for servers, it is still a fast and stable option. Loading times are decent, with small dips during high-traffic hours. Even so, they promise a good user experience in general, especially for a free VPN.
Hotspot Shield does not record your browsing activity or personal data and implements 256-bit AES encryption. It is easy to use and configure, both on Android and iOS and computers.
Its free option only supports connection from a single device, comes with advertising and limits you to 500 MB per day. You will also not be able to choose the location of the server you want to connect to, since the selection is random.
9. Nord VPN
With a large network of over 5,400 servers in 60 countries, Nord VPN is a service that covers all the bases. Its protection is impeccable with 256-bit AES encryption and VPN security protocols. And it is very simple to use.
It bypasses the famous Netflix proxy error, so you can use it without problems on many of the popular streaming services. It’s not completely free, but you can take advantage of a 68% discount offer for the 2-year plan. This is the most economical option compared to other alternatives.
10. HotBot VPN
If you are looking for a fast, secure and complete mobile VPN, you can try the advantages of HotBot. Unlike others, this service grants 7 days of free access to all its functions without having to pay in advance. In addition, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Their one-year license has a promotion in which you can save 66% of the total amount. You can configure locations with servers in 36 countries and open the same account on up to 6 devices simultaneously.
It is one of the newest VPN servers on the market, so it is not saturated. You can give it a try with the 7-day free or use the 30-day refund policy. And if you like it, their annual license discount will allow you to save a lot.
11. AVG VPN
Known for its popular antivirus software, it also has a VPN service that you shouldn’t rule out. Many people already use an AVG package, but the VPN is an added service and you have to pay for its license. Even so, it comes with a free 7-day trial period.
It has the features of the best free Android VPNs, starting with its 256-bit AES encryption and no data collection policy. It has more than 60 servers (quite limited), although you can configure the specific applications you want to connect. This way it will not affect the general performance of the cell phone in the slightest.
Although the service comes from a well-known company and supports connection on up to 10 simultaneous devices, it lacks some important features. For example, there is no sleep switch or support for streaming services. Either way, it’s still a free option for safe browsing.
12. Express VPN
It is not a completely free alternative, since it is necessary to subscribe to have access to all its functions. However, it is an Android VPN that offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you cancel your subscription before that time, you can get all your money back.
It allows you to connect up to 5 simultaneous devices, whether mobile phones or computers. That compatibility is a benefit that you can take advantage of to download data or play games. In addition, it has a global network with more than 3,000 secure servers around 94 countries.
ExpressVPN has military-grade encryption that protects your internet traffic from leaks, deleting user data with every reboot. Currently, it has a limited offer of $6.67 per month if you contract the one-year license, which also gives you 3 months free.
This is an application designed for the ultrasecurity of your online activities. It provides total anonymity with strong 256-bit encryption, which also does not collect private information and incorporates a very complete firewall. The best thing is that it has no restrictions on your bandwidth or data limits.
Ultra VPN has access to hundreds of servers distributed across 55 countries. It is compatible with different devices and you can maintain up to 3 active sessions at the same time.
Its installation and configuration process is simple, almost automatic. Keep in mind that it is not a free service. It has 3 fairly economical plans for one month, 6 months and one year. But thanks to their return policy, you can get a full refund within the first 30 days.
14. VPN Proxy
It has the least original name of all, but it has helped manage the networks of millions of Android users around the world. It is simple, easy and with unlimited capacity. It allows you to browse without a trace through 6,000 encrypted servers.
It is not completely free, but its 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to use this VPN without paying a euro. In addition, with its annual license, you can get 3 months free. In general, it is a very complete VPN even for streaming services and with support for up to 6 devices at a time.
With a minimalist interface, Turbo allows us to browse the internet with great freedom. You do not need prior registration nor are you limited to the conditions imposed by other alternatives. It is a free VPN that you can use today, without going through complicated management processes.
One of its best features is that it is not at all demanding on the Android device. It works on computers that have 2 GB or more of RAM and serves to avoid some of the restrictions of certain regions. Although it comes with a few adjustment options, it makes up for it by being very structured and easy to use.
16. CyberGhost VPN
You find it on its official website. Although it is not completely free, it is one of the cheapest services you can hire. It ensures a 45-day money-back guarantee, so you can get your money back if it doesn’t fit your needs.
It has more than 7,500 servers distributed in 91 countries, without bandwidth limits to enjoy series, movies, games and more. Supports up to 7 devices at a time, with support for Android and iOS phones, as well as Amazon Fire TV, Kindle and much more.
In turn, the tool integrates an ad and malware blocker that protects your Android from any malicious program registered in its database. On the other hand, CyberGhost focuses on user privacy, especially when connecting to public networks.
VPN extensions for Chrome
In addition to the VPN options that we name in this list, there is also a way to connect our browser directly to a VPN that allows us to access content that is blocked or that requires us to be in another location and that is through the VPN extensions for Chrome.
- Touch VPN, the encrypted extension for Chrome: This is the first of the extensions that we can recommend to use in your browser. It is a free service with unlimited bandwidth that will allow you to launch the protection of this tool with a single touch. This extension allows users to connect via VPN across 12 different countries and is perfect for locations where there are restrictions and blockages.
- Unlimited VPN proxy, a very complete VPN extension: If you are looking for a VPN that offers you security, that gives you access to good servers and that also has an operating speed above average, but that is free… You are not asking too much, because This is just what this extension offers, allowing you to enter restricted sites and also do it safely.
- Daily VPN, the easiest alternative to use: this VPN is a free proxy that does not require further configuration by the user, it will be enough to install it and start it up for it to work without any problem. You can connect to countries in Europe, Asia or America; A great advantage is that the connections to all the servers are free and it will be enough to press a button to change your location.
- 1clickVPN, the VPN of anonymity: if you really want to be sure that your identity is protected then this is the extension that you should install in your browser. First of all, you must install the extension in Chrome and then just choose the country from which you want to appear connected. This is a free option, which does not require registration and is also free of ads, so you will not see strange tabs that are displayed on your computer.
- Muscle VPN, a stable platform: One of the main problems with VPNs is that they can fail continuously, which is why this free service updates its proxy server every 10 minutes, guaranteeing connection continuity. This VPN has a long list of options to connect to virtual servers, in addition to guaranteeing the anonymity of users.
- Earth VPN, the service for geographic restrictions: This VPN, in addition to hiding your true IP address, is perfect for bypassing geoblocks that may exist in certain types of content, it may not work with everything, but you can try some streaming content platforms. It is an easy tool to configure to use with your browser and also provides a fairly fast connection.
- Astar VPN, the most secure VPN extension: This extension for Chrome is just as free as the other proposals included in this list, it also has the advantage of having powerful encryption and its connection is fast, as well as stable, being able to allow Users can unblock a large number of websites or geo-blocked content. It has a large list of servers to choose from.
Using a free VPN, is it safe?
It is a practice as safe as using a paid VPN because it is the same type of tool and there is no difference (at least in the essence of its operation). Paid VPNs have certain features that are not available in the free versions.
One of the problems that you can have with the use of a free VPN is that in some way the company obtains a benefit, in this case, it could be that you give permission, in many cases without knowing it, to the application to collect your data and sell to third parties. You will be able to know this very well at the moment of accepting the conditions and reading the digital contract very well.
Now, we show you the different alternatives that we have found so that you can choose the free VPN that best suits your needs.
How to choose a free VPN for your Android mobile
The obvious thing is to think that free VPN applications are an open door to problems. However, companies that charge for these types of services are not exempt from presenting the same security and privacy gaps.
The apps in this guide were selected according to a series of criteria that you can use to evaluate other options. This is what you should look for when choosing the best free Android VPN:
The first aspect you should verify is that the VPN meets the minimum security requirements to protect your device.
Currently, the most secure standard encryption is military-grade AES 256-bit, which prevents DNS and IP leaks. Your provider shouldn’t be able to see what websites you visit, at least in theory.
It is best if you can test it independently and if it allows you to register anonymously or without asking for a lot of data.
Easy to use
A VPN on Android does not need to have a very complex interface or functions that hinder the user experience. In general, it should be easy to use both in its mobile version and from the computer. A clean interface guarantees security.
Some servers become overloaded due to many users accessing them at the same time. Considering that they are free services, it is natural not to expect the best loading speeds. However, always choose options that reduce delays and meet your expectations.
To keep the VPN working properly and without security gaps, it must be updated frequently. Do not trust programs that have been without a new version for more than half a year to correct possible errors. Bet on updated free VPNs.
Number of servers
The more servers you have at your disposal, the fewer saturation problems. In addition, you can access global internet content anywhere in the world from your Android. The limitations would be much smaller.
Access to certain platforms
There are many reasons to use a free VPN, such as accessing a streaming service or browsing a specific website privately.
When hiring a VPN service you must make sure that it is compatible with the platform. There are good alternatives for general use but they do not work for downloading Torrent or using Netflix, for example.
Money back guarantee
Instead of looking for a completely free tool, you can take advantage of a paid VPN with a money-back guarantee. This way you will have access to all the features within the warranty period (usually 30 days) and then you can get your money back.
Considering how important security is in a VPN service, it must have 24-hour support. When you work with a free alternative they will not respond to you immediately. Even so, a good service should be able to resolve your doubts in the shortest time possible.
Don’t completely trust what each service says on its own platform. All VPNs on the market, good and bad, have been tested by other users. Therefore, you can always investigate their opinions and what their own experience of use has been like. If it is good or bad for them, it will also be good or bad for you.
Many free VPN apps on Android limit the amount of monthly data allowed. This is a strategy to force your users to upgrade to a paid plan. Depending on the use you want to give it, some alternatives vary with plans between 500 MB and 2 GB.
In case you need to get much more out of these servers and for a longer time, you will have to go for a payment plan. The free services are for very specific use.
Free VPN apps for Android that are dangerous
While the best VPNs provide security and privacy, not all free options are recommended. Unfortunately, some VPNs take advantage of the service’s vulnerabilities and represent a high risk, both for your data and your device. These are the VPNs you should avoid:
- Hola VPN: Although some sites still recommend HolaVPN for its ease of use, the truth is that by registering you agree to sell your bandwidth to the Luminati company. This is a high-risk security breach that can be exploited to steal your personal data.
- Touch VPN: The security policy of this service makes it clear that all browsing history and your data are recorded for “marketing purposes.” Additionally, it is complicated to use and does not provide enough features. Its only advantage is that it is a free VPN.
- VPNSecure: Despite being a reputable company, at one point IP and DNS leaks were detected and reported on the service. Although the company resolved the situation, the damage has already been done and has proven to be unsafe when it comes to handling our information.
- Betternet: This free VPN service does not have an automatic shutdown and its security layer is quite vulnerable. On the other hand, it keeps user records private, only on premium servers. If you have the free version, your data may be sold to third parties.
- HideMyAss: It has been demonstrated that HideMyass records users’ IP information, with entry and exit times. That poses a serious risk for anyone trying to use a free VPN on Android to protect their privacy and browse anonymously. This service fails in that sense.
Android VPN applications are an interesting alternative to protect privacy on the internet. There are companies of this type that boast of offering this service without charging us anything. The problem is that to function optimally they require money and maintenance.
Many free VPN services compensate you with advertising, reduce their features or limit the free license to a trial period with low data. But, as you may have noticed, not all options are completely safe, especially when they are free.
What is VPN on mobile and what is it for?
Chances are that if you’ve come this far you already know what a VPN is. Anyway, I’ll talk about it a little. Its acronym in English corresponds to Virtual Private Network. This allows you to access websites blocked in the country from which you connect.
That is, you would connect to the Internet through “a third party”, with greater privacy and security and avoiding prohibitions or censorship in the region.
Is it worth downloading a free VPN on Android?
Whether it’s worth having a free VPN for Android depends largely on what you need. First of all, you have to keep in mind that free VPNs have certain limitations related to data usage, speed, features, and country selection. This means that a free VPN will most likely only be suitable for casual browsing.
However, if you are planning to go all out and use a VPN for streaming, torrenting, or unblocking content in very specific countries, look for paid services instead.
To do this, you can update any of the VPNs on this list. They all offer paid subscription plans that do not limit data, bandwidth, or server list, among other features.
Why should you use a VPN on Android?
- Increased browsing security, since all communication is encrypted (no one can read what we send) and virtual. This is great especially if you connect to public networks, as we explained in the post on how to get free internet on your mobile. Or also to connect to an internal company network from outside the building.
- You can skip any type of restriction in the country. For example, it will be possible to connect to Instagram from China or post “revolutionary” messages in Burma.
- You will have the possibility of accessing geographically restricted content, such as US premieres on Netflix or certain YouTube videos.
- You will not leave a trace of your time on the network.
- Sometimes setting up a VPN for mobile phones or computers requires certain knowledge. Nothing that can’t be learned, of course. In addition, below we will give you some easy-to-use names.
- It is a constant fight against “censorship”, so access is being closed. That is, today you may be able to access Google from China, but tomorrow the chosen VPN has been “caught” and no longer works.
- The connection is not always stable, which can be a handicap when working efficiently online. The connection speed is slower.
With what has been said, you can now choose between the best free VPNs for Android with good judgment, separating those options that pose a risk. Share this information with those people who are looking for an alternative to connect to the Internet anonymously.
Remember that you can always tell us your opinions or doubts in the comments.