Some wonder how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages. And this platform, used by millions of people, allows you to delete messages sent on WhatsApp before two days have passed so that the recipient no longer has access to them. If that has happened to you, how do you see those deleted messages?
Keep reading to discover all the existing solutions and help you recover deleted WhatsApp messages without uninstalling them. We explain each method step by step to make it easier for you and we tell you the limitations of each one
View deleted messages on WhatsApp: all methods
Before starting, we need to make some clarifications. The first is that WhatsApp does not have an official function to view messages deleted by another user. Therefore, what we tell you here are tricks that are not related to a native option.
Secondly, you should know that some methods must be carried out before a user deletes the message. So to speak, to recover a deleted WhatsApp message that was sent to you, you have to prepare beforehand. But don’t worry, we’ll tell you everything in detail below.
How to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp without applications
Every message you receive on WhatsApp, unless you have changed the settings, appears as a notification. Some Androids generate a record of the notices that reach your mobile phone and their content. Take a look at how it is useful to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp.
This is how you can easily access the WhatsApp notification log:
- Press on a free space on the home screen.
- From the menu, select Widgets.
- Add a new Settings widget.
- From the list, choose Notification Log or Notification History.
- Use the shortcut you just created to see the latest notifications that have arrived on your phone.
As you can see, this is a good way to read deleted messages on WhatsApp and recover WhatsApp conversations. Even though the other person has deleted the content, Android will have registered it thanks to notifications.
As for the limitations of this trick, these are the most notable:
- Not all manufacturers offer this feature. Some mobile phones do not allow access to the notification log or do not have this feature at all. This is the case with Huawei mobile phones. Yes, you can in Samsung or Xiaomi, for example.
- The content of messages is limited. Each Android notification contains 100 characters. If the message exceeds that amount, you will not be able to read it completely.
- Only allows you to see text. With this system, no images or videos are saved.
- The notification log is updated. Therefore, hurry up before the deleted message also disappears from this section of the settings.
How to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp with applications
When your phone doesn’t include a notification log, an alternative is to create one with an external app. There are two that are responsible for monitoring incoming WhatsApp notices and recording them in their own database. These are:
It allows you to select applications installed on your devices. Then, keep track of all notifications to see the content of the message, even if it has been deleted. Additionally, it helps you keep track of specific folders to prevent others from deleting content without your consent.
It is a well-known application that comes with several relevant options. In addition to keeping track of all your messages, including photos and videos, it has a tool to download statuses before they disappear.
An application to view deleted messages also has weaknesses. Take a look at the most important ones:
- They depend on notifications. This means that if you have muted a chat or group so that WhatsApp does not send you notices, these applications will not be able to access the content.
- They need to run in the background, affecting the performance of the device and reducing its total autonomy. Likewise, they force you to create an exception in the Android battery optimization function.
- To register attachments, they need automatic download to have been enabled. It allows WhatsApp to download photos and videos by default, making it possible to create a record by the aforementioned applications.
View deleted WhatsApp messages with backup
The third way to see deleted WhatsApp messages is thanks to the backup. In the previous two sections, we mentioned functions or applications for Android, this is a trick that also works for iPhone.
What should you keep in mind regarding this method?
- You have to pay close attention. For it to work, a backup must be created before the other user deletes the message.
- It is necessary to uninstall WhatsApp. To recover the original message from the backup, you will need to uninstall WhatsApp and configure it again.
- Information loss may occur. All those messages that you received after creating the backup and restoring it are very likely to be lost.
As you can see, this is an effective trick for WhatsApp, but somewhat tedious. Here are the detailed steps to put it into practice:
- When you receive content that you think the sender is going to delete, open WhatsApp settings.
- Tap on Chats.
- Enter Backup.
- Use the Save button to upload the backup.
Now the deleted message on WhatsApp is safe.
If your caller ends up deleting it, do the following to get it back:
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your phone.
- Configure the application from scratch by entering your phone number.
- Write the verification code.
- When the Restore backup message appears, tap Continue.
- Finish the process to restore the copy you made before the message was deleted.
Deleted messages on WhatsApp: frequently asked questions
We close this guide by resolving some issues related to viewing deleted WhatsApp messages. In any case, I recommend you read our posts on how to spy on a contact who has blocked you on WhatsApp and the differences between seen and read.
Where is the WhatsApp recycle bin?
WhatsApp does not have a recycle bin. The deleted content disappears permanently. You may be interested to know that there is a recycle bin on Android but in other applications.
How to see deleted WhatsApp photos?
In two different ways. First, if you’ve copied the photo to another folder or uploaded it to the cloud, use a file explorer or the corresponding app on your storage platform. Second, with WAMR or a similar application that supports WhatsApp photo recovery.
Does WAMR exist on iPhone?
No. It is an application developed for Android.
Where are WhatsApp files located?
Generally, on Android WhatsApp files are stored in the internal memory in the /WhatsApp/Media directory. They will be available there as long as the sender does not remove them from the conversation.
We hope that this article has helped you resolve your doubts regarding viewing deleted messages on WhatsApp.
If you liked it, share it with others on social networks and leave a comment below. We want to know your opinion!