You know that moment when someone asks you for the password of the Wi-Fi network you’re already connected to, but you can’t remember why you first entered it a long time ago? iOS ( iPhone) and Android do not have a simple method to discover them, unlike computers. But it is still possible to do so. See below how to find out the Wi-Fi password that is connected using your cell phone.
First, you need to find out the IP address of your router. Most of the time it follows the pattern http://192.168.1.1, but it is possible that you or someone else uses another address. For the avoidance of doubt, follow these steps:
- On iOS, go to Settings, click Wi-Fi and then the network you’re connected to. On Android, go to the Settings app, click Network & Internet, Wi-Fi and the connected network.
- Next, look for your IP address. For iOS users, the address will be in the Router field ;
- On Android devices, the address is the one described in the Gateway, Router or Manage Router field, depending on the device.
- After you have copied the number, then open your browser and type or paste the number into the search bar to gain access to your router. Enter your device login and password. Usually, this information is on a label on the router itself, or in the manuals;
- From this point forward, the information differs depending on the hardware model. By default, information about Wi-Fi networks is in the Wireless or Wireless menu, which may or may not be in a sub-menu called Security, or something similar. Look for the field labelled Password and click the link to display the characters.
- And that’s it, now you know the Wi-Fi password. It is important to remember that this method only works for users who know the router login and password. If you do not have access to this data, it will not be possible to know the Wi-Fi password.
How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows 10
- Right-click on the connections icon, in the right corner of the Taskbar, and then on Network and Internet Settings ;
- Click Network and Sharing Center ;
- Click on Change adapter settings in the menu on the left side of the window;
- In the new window, find the Wi-Fi network you want to know the password for, right-click and then on Status ;
- Click the Wireless Connection Properties button ;
- On the Security tab, check the Show characters box.
And ready. Depending on the version of Windows 10, when you right-click on the connection icon, the system will directly offer the Network and Sharing Center option, so just follow the step by step from item 2; this procedure is the same for earlier versions of the operating system.
How to Find Wi-Fi Password on macOS
- On macOS, click the search tool in the Menu Bar (or press Command + Space; on a non- Apple keyboard, Windows Key + Space ) and type “braces”. Double-click the Keychain Access app ;
- Find in the list of keys the Wi-Fi network you want to know the password for, and double-click on it;
- Check the Show password box, and enter your system login and password (macOS may ask for credentials more than once).
How to Find Wi-Fi Password on Linux
The method to find out the WiFi password you are connected to may vary depending on the distribution used, but overall the differences are minimal. Let’s take Ubuntu, one of the most popular versions of Linux, as a base.
- Click on the connection icon on the Menu Bar and then on Edit connections ;
- Double-click the saved Wi-Fi network to discover;
- Click on the Wi-Fi Security tab and check the Show password box (the system may ask for your system login and password).
And that’s it.