Do you have a Twitch account and don’t know how to change your username? This platform allows you to modify the name of the profile on some occasion, but you have to meet certain requirements. In addition, there are different options for those who are more ‘visible’ on the platform and who usually comment on streams or even broadcast live. In this article I will tell you the requirements and the steps you must follow to change your username on Twitch.
Requirements for Changing the username on Twitch?
As I have told you, Twitch asks for some conditions so that we can change the username. First, verify our email address associated with Twitch. If you have already done so, it will let you change the username if you meet the second requirement. If you have not yet verified your email, when entering Twitch you just have to click on the notice that appears in the upper area and wait for the verification email to arrive. Then follow the steps indicated in that email.
Another requirement is not to have changed the username for 60 days. So if you decide to change the name now, you won’t be able to do it again for 60 days. And if you have changed it before and the two months have not yet passed, you will have to wait.
What to know before changing your name on Twitch
Before modifying the name of Twitch you must take into account some important points, beyond the fact that you will not be able to change it again until after 60 days.
- Twitch streaming statistics will be reset: changing the name Twitch will erase all the streaming statistics that you had saved, since they are not associated with the new name. Therefore, it is advisable to export the statistics.
- Revenue is not lost: If you have earned income on Twitch through user subscriptions, you will not lose it when you change your name.
- You cannot redirect your old user link to the new one: remember to change the links to your user on Twitch when you change the username, as changing the name will make the old one unusable, Twitch does not redirect and the user will not find you.
- The original name will not be available for 6 months: if you decide to return to your original name, you will have to wait at least 6 months to get it again. This is the time that the username will be available again.
How to change your name on Twitch
The streaming service offers a tool that allows you to change your username once every 60 days. Remember that you cannot reuse a name associated with another account, even if it is inactive.
- Log in to Twitch website as usual;
- Now, go to your profile page ;
- In the Profile Settings section, click on the edit button (to the right of Username);
- Two options will be displayed here. The first allows you to change your Twitch username. That is, the one to use to log into your account;
- The second option allows you to modify the username for the public. The name cannot be different from the Twitch account, but we can add upper and lower case. In this way, users can see it more striking;
- When you have chosen your username, click the ‘save changes’ button. Ready, your username will have been modified.
You must have an email registered with Twitch to confirm your identity, in addition to having to enter your password. Only then will you be able to complete the name change. The abandoned username will be held by Twitch for a minimum of six months. The service can also release usernames, for a new registration, if any chosen name violates trademarks, is impersonating someone else or is no longer active (after a period of 12 months).