If you don’t have a monitor to spare, be aware that you can use a phone or tablet as a second screen. The functionality can be done by apps that connect the devices via USB or the Wi-Fi network. Here’s how to turn your mobile device into a second monitor.
- How to share Internet from an Android phone to a PC via a USB cable
- How to transfer files from Android to macOS via USB
To be able to connect the two devices to the PC and turn them into a second screen, it is necessary to install an application that makes this connection. In the tutorial below, we will be using Wired XDisplay.
The program is available for Windows and macOS, and can also be installed on Android or iOS devices.
- Download software on PC: Go to the official Wired XDisplay website and download the software. Once downloaded, install the application on your computer;
- Install the app on your phone or tablet: On your phone or tablet, open your app store and install the app;
- Open Wired XDisplay: Back on the PC, launch the program so that the connection between the devices is made. In some cases, it may be necessary to install a driver for it to work. On iOS, for example, the software asks for the presence of iTunes on the computer;
- Connect the device: Now, you need to connect your phone or tablet to the notebook via USB cable and open the application on your mobile device;
- Configure your monitor: If everything is OK, your device is already functioning as a second monitor. Open the screen settings in your Windows to finish the setup.
In some cases, crashes can happen due to the pre-configured broadcast quality in Wired XDisplay.
If this occurs, it is important that you return to step 3 and configure the frame rate, quality and resolution.
Now, if your notebook does not have a compatible input for your phone or tablet, another option is to use the Wi-Fi network. Learn more in the paragraphs below.
Using Your Phone as a Monitor via Wi-Fi network
As Wired XDisplay only works via USB cable, to connect devices via network we will need to install SpaceDesk.
However, there is a detail before all that: if you have Wired XDisplay installed — or any other similar application — you need to uninstall it. This software causes conflicts with SpaceDesk and blocks the internet connection.
- Download the program on PC: First, access the official SpaceDesk website and download the software;
- Install the app on your phone: As in the previous tutorial, look for the app in your app store and install it on your phone or tablet;
- Open SpaceDesk: Once installed, launch the program on both devices and make sure they are using the same Wi-Fi network;
- Make the connection: On your smartphone, the name of your notebook will appear. Tap to connect.
Okay, now you have a second monitor working without any cables.
SpaceDesk works on Android or iOS devices, but only for those who have Windows as their operating system.
So, have you used any of these apps? Leave your comment in the comments section.