The PlayStation 5 is an electronic device, and like all of them, dust is your natural enemy. With that in mind, Sony built it to facilitate the removal of dirt, which can be done easily, with just a few simple steps. Here’s how to remove the external tabs to clean the PlayStation 5.
How to clean your PlayStation 5
Before you start, you need to remove the external tabs from the PlayStation 5 to gain access to the fan and dust collectors. Do the following:
- Remove the PlayStation 5 base, regardless of whether it is lying down or standing;
- If the console is used standing, use a screwdriver to loosen the fastener screw;
- Support the console lying on a surface, with the front-facing you;
- Rest one hand on the base, and with the other, hold the outer flap at the far end, where the PlayStation logo is;
- Gently push the flap in the direction of the base (do not pull up) and it will come loose completely;
- Turn the PlayStation 5 and leave the other side up, with the back facing you;
- Support one hand on the base and the other on the top end closest to you;
- Gently push the flap in the direction of the base to release it.
You can follow the process of removing the tabs in sony’s official video:
With the tabs removed, you can clean the inner parts of the console with a flannel or portable air compressor. If you choose the second alternative, do not use it at too high a power.
The compressor is indicated to remove dust accumulated in the two collectors, which are large holes present at the top of the console when the outer flap is removed. Also throw a jet of air into the fan, to dust the accumulated dust there.
To clean other parts of the PlayStation 5, use a soft, water-less cloth or cleaning products to prevent debris from contacting the console’s internal components.
The same goes for the outer flaps, only a soft, dry cloth is enough. According to Sony, this even prevents the tabs from becoming yellowish over time, which can also happen when keeping Dualsense control or headsets on it. So avoid doing this.
Done cleaning, it’s time to put it all back together:
- Support the PlayStation 5 on a surface, with the bottom facing up;
- Position the bottom flap so that the hooks align with the corresponding holes;
- Hold the flap at the top and bottom ends, and gently push it toward the top of the PlayStation 5 until you hear a click;
- Turn the console over and repeat steps 2 and 3 with the top tab;
- Place the base back in the position you usually use, standing or lying down.
- If you use the console standing, secure the base with the screw.
And that’s it, your PlayStation 5 is clean and reassembled.