Telegram stores messages and media from your conversations in the cloud. To delete text messages, audio and other specific files, you need to delete them from the chat. Next, see how to clear an entire conversation or delete specific messages and media from the messenger on your cell phone or computer.
How to delete all messages and media from a conversation on Telegram
How to delete all messages and media on iPhone
To delete all messages and media from a conversation or group on Telegram for iOS, you need to enter the chat and clean it from the menu, see:
- Access the conversation in which you want to delete messages, videos, photos and other files;
- Tap the person’s photo in the top corner of the screen;
- Tap “more” to open other conversation options;
- Select “Delete Messages”;
- Choose whether you want to delete just for yourself or for the person as well.
This way, you can delete all the content of a conversation without removing the chat from the app’s recent list. Repeat the process for all other chats where you want to delete videos, photos and messages.
Can I delete messages in multiple conversations at once on iPhone?
Yes. If you want to delete several conversations at once, an alternative is to use the “Edit” button on the home screen, select several chats and tap “Delete”. This will also delete messages and media, however, the conversation will leave recent contacts.
For the contact to appear again in recent conversations, you need to start a new conversation with them.
How to delete all messages and media on Android
To clear all messages and media from a conversation or group on Android, follow these steps:
- Open a person or group’s chat and tap the three dots in the top right corner;
- Select “Clear history”;
- Choose whether you want to delete messages and media just for yourself or for the contact as well.
Is it possible to delete messages in multiple conversations at once on Android?
Yes. To delete several chats on Android you need to hold down a conversation in the recent list, then select the ones you want to delete and tap the trash can at the top of the screen.
How to delete messages and media on your PC
To clear messages and media from a conversation on your computer, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the conversation you want to clear;
- Select “Clear history” or “Delete chat”;
- Choose whether you want to delete messages for the contact as well and confirm.
The only difference between clearing the history and deleting the chat is that the second option will remove the contact from the recent conversations list.
Can I delete messages in multiple conversations at once on PC?
It is not possible to delete conversations in bulk via the computer. This process can only be done via iPhone and Android apps.
How to delete a message or media on Telegram
How to Delete a Specific Message or Media on iPhone
To delete just one message or media on Telegram for iOS, the path is as follows:
- Tap and hold the message or media you want to delete from your phone;
- Select “Delete”;
- Choose whether you want to delete just for yourself or for the contact as well.
How to Delete an Individual Message or Media on Android
To individually delete a message or file from Telegram for Android, follow the instructions:
- Tap and hold a message or media;
- With the item selected, tap the trash can at the top of the screen;
- Confirm whether you want to delete just for yourself or for the contact as well.
How to delete a specific message from your PC
To delete a single Telegram message from your computer:
- Right-click on the message, photo or video;
- Select “Delete”;
- Confirm whether you want to delete it just for yourself or for the contact as well.
Can I delete all Telegram conversations at once?
Yes, but you need to select all chats manually. Unlike WhatsApp, Telegram does not have a feature to delete everything from your account. To clean the app, you need to delete all active chats.
Is it possible to delete just my messages on Telegram?
It is not possible to delete only the messages you sent on Telegram.
Why aren’t media deleted when clearing the Telegram cache?
Telegram’s cache represents everything stored on the phone. When cleaning the cache, Telegram only removes the media from the cell phone or computer, but still keeps it in the cloud, so that the user can download it when necessary.
It is different from the dynamics of WhatsApp, which stores all data on the user’s phone and not in the cloud. If the user deletes it from their cell phone, there is no way to recover it.
How to clear Telegram cache to free up space on your phone
To free up space used by media and files, you can delete the data used by Telegram in the in-app storage settings. This process must be done on each platform individually, on cell phones and computers, for example.